- WAPA provides the means for members to learn to handle pistols safely and competently in a controlled and competitive environment.
- WAPA provides a system of graded competitions that caters to the local club shooter as well as, national and international competitors.
- WAPA provides the State Referee Council programs to ensure that competitive target pistol shooting matches are held according to the common Australian and international standards. Whether for the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), Metallic Silhouette (IMSSU), Action Pistol (NRA), WA 1500 Match (WA1500) or for the Pistol Australia Service Pistol and Black Powder matches. These standards ensure opportunities in competition anywhere in Australia and overseas.
WAPA provides the State Referee Council (SRC) that provides the opportunity for members to pursue a path to officiate as Range Officers or Judges at local, State, National and International competition.
WAPA provides the State Coaching Council (SCC) that delivers coaching and other programs that provide WAPA members the opportunity to develop their marksmanship from club up to elite level if they so choose.
The SCC also provides WAPA members with the opportunity to obtain nationally accredited coaching qualifications in shooting at all levels.
WAPA liaises with State Government bodies including WA Police Firearm Licencing Services to ensure fair treatment of its members in firearm matters.
WAPA conducts annual State Championships in ISSF, Service Pistol, Black Powder, Action Pistol and WA1500 Match. WAPA affiliated clubs hold Open Shoots where all WAPA members can compete in graded competition in a social environment.
WAPA ensures that members continue to have a pathway to elite competition in this area and as a direct result, Australian pistol shooters continue to justify retention of the pistols needed for these events.
- WAPA provides members with the opportunity to visit and shoot at over 30 clubs around WA and hundreds more in Australia and overseas.
- WAPA, through Pistol Australia provides the justification for members’ pistol ownership by fielding competitors and teams in the Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games and other like international events.